Hello, dear one! My name is Havalah and I am a scholar, writer, and illustrator. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, I now live in Texas, where I attend a classical Christian college. There, I aspire towards the esteemed names of theologian, philosopher, and master of words. Wisdom is acquired, and I am forever learning from those wiser than I.
I have always had a particular affinity for the written word. When I was young, I would tell stories to an audience of toys (gracious listeners all), and as I got older, I devoured literature of all kinds. However, it wasn’t until 2018, when I received a school assignment requiring me to write and receive feedback on an original short story, that I began to realize that God was calling me to writing.
My creative writing journey took off in 2019, when I joined The Young Writer’s Workshop. During my time with YWW, I completed one novella draft (50k words) and one novel draft (135k words), plus a plethora of poetry and other story scraps and snippets. Though I left YWW in November 2021, I am forever grateful for the instruction and encouragement I received while a member of that community. As of 2022, I have three official creative works-in-progress. Though they are all largely on hold until I finish college, if you would like to learn more about them in the meantime, see here.
Beginning college in 2021 sparked a renewed interest in scholarly, nonfictional writing. Under the instruction of several wise and talented professors, I relearned how to read and analyze texts and write contemplative, winsome essays that would provoke deep thought and glorify God. Though this was a difficult process, I found it incredibly rewarding, and it is now towards this method of writing that my mind and pen tend. God willing, I hope to continue to hone these skills during my sophomore year and further pursue this new path that has been laid for me.
I am also an amateur illustrator, having taught myself the craft since 2018. I specialize in anthropomorphic animals, primarily using traditional mediums. Tertiary interests include traveling, reading, listening to music, and baking with pastry crust. When I’m not pursuing these things, I can be found dreaming about the Regency era, hoarding sweaters, and enjoying scenic country drives. Finally, I’d like it on the record that I liked boba tea before it was fashionable.
I am a Protestant Christian and attend a small, non-denominational Bible church. I believe in the Trinity, the truth of the whole Bible, and salvation by grace alone. I am also a Creationist and pre-Tribulationist.
I hold to conservative values and harbor a deep love for my country, despite its shortcomings. I stand against abortion and homosexuality as well as other “progressive” agendas.
(For a similar, more thoughtful list, see here.)
- Pride and Prejudice | Jane Austen
- Little Women | Louisa May Alcott
- The Secret Garden | Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Mistmantle Chronicles (in particular: The Heir of Mistmantle, Urchin and the Rage Tide, Urchin and the Heartstone) | M. I. McAllister
- The Green Ember series (in particular: The Archer’s Cup, Ember’s End, Ember Falls) | S. D. Smith
- A Tale of Two Cities | Charles Dickens
- The Harry Potter series (in particular: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) | J. K. Rowling
- The Redwall series (in particular: Taggerung, Redwall, Marlfox, Mariel of Redwall) | Brian Jacques
- Mere Christianity | C. S. Lewis
- How Should We Then Live? | Francis Schaeffer
- Jane Austen
- S. D. Smith
- Peter J. Leithart
- Charles Dickens
- Louisa May Alcott
- Brian Jacques
- The Lion King (1994)
- Emma. (2020)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (in particular: Dead Man’s Chest, At World’s End)
- Marvel (in particular: Infinity War, Endgame, Doctor Strange, Age of Ultron, Civil War)
- The Hobbit (in particular: The Desolation of Smaug)
- Brother Bear
- Little Women (2019)
- Kung Fu Panda
Favorite TV series
- Pride and Prejudice (1995)
- Stranger Things
You must be logged in to post a comment.